What is ONTRUZANT?
Get to know your medicine and how it may help you fight your type of breast cancer.
ONTRUZANT is a biological biosimilar prescription medicine that can help you fight your breast cancer. Your doctor chose it for you because it treats the type of cancer you have: HER2-positive (HER2+) breast cancer. ONTRUZANT is called a biosimilar because it is a biological medicine that is highly similar to another drug called Herceptin (trastuzumab).
How is it thought to work?
- ONTRUZANT is a targeted therapy designed to interrupt tumor cell growth in HER2+ breast cancer
- ONTRUZANT may stop the HER2 receptors from signaling cancer cells to grow
- ONTRUZANT may also be able to identify tumor cells to be destroyed by the immune system
- Normal cells can have HER2, so HER2-targeted therapies can also affect normal cells and can cause side effects, including possible serious side effects.
ONTRUZANT is an FDA-approved biosimilar of Herceptin for the treatment of HER2+ breast cancer.
ONTRUZANT and Herceptin both
- Work the same way in the body
- Have the same dosage
- Are given the same way
Similar in effectiveness and safety
This means you can expect similar treatment benefits from ONTRUZANT, and similar potential side effects, as you would from Herceptin.